Major Admission & Application
Admittance to the International Studies Major is by application only. Applications are accepted Fall, Winter, and Spring terms. The deadline for applications is always 11:59 pm on Monday of Week 4 of a given term. Applications are not accepted during the Summer term.
Fall 2019 Application Cycle
October 1, 2019 through October 21, 2019
Winter 2020 Application Cycle
January 6, 2020 through January 27, 2020
Spring 2020 Application Cycle
March 30, 2020 through April 20, 2010
Application Eligibility Requirements
- Must declare the INTL Pre-Major (PINS) with the Undergraduate Coordinator.
- Completion of the International Studies Pre-Major Checklist.
- A cumulative UO GPA of 3.0 or above, or 3 consecutive terms of 3.0 or higher, is required for admission to the International Studies Major.
- Applicant Profile
- Appointment with Global Connections Advisor*
- INTL Undergraduate Major Planner on file
- Faculty Mentor Confirmation – Upon choosing, meeting with, and confirming your chosen mentor, your Faculty Mentor must confirm your partnership by completing and electronically signing the Faculty Mentor Agreement Form and sending the completed form to email@example.com with you as their mentee on copy, indicating their confirmed status as your Faculty Mentor. Emails confirming Faculty Mentor status for mentees must come directly from the Faculty Mentor to the firstname.lastname@example.org email account.
- Unofficial UO Transcripts (download from Duckweb)
- Three 250-400 Word Essays:
- How did you become interested in international issues?
- What are your current thoughts about a future vocation or profession?
- How will you fulfill the requirements for the major?
- What is your specific geographic area of study and how will you fulfill the third-year language requirement directly related to this area? (International students should reflect on completing their AEIS & Written English requirements)
- What is your professional concentration and who is your preferred Faculty Mentor that will help you navigate this professional concentration?
- How do your choices for geographic and professional foci combine to meet your academic goals in International Studies?
*How do I schedule a remote appointment with a Global Connections Advisor in Tykeson?
- To schedule a remote “drop-in” appointment M-F, 10-3pm:
- Use the chat function on this website: https://advising.uoregon.edu/tykeson
- Call: 541-346-9200
- To schedule a remote appointment, you can use the chat function on the website, or schedule directly through EAB Navigate. From there, they will receive instructions on using Microsoft Teams for a remote appointment.
The INTL Major Admissions Committee will review your completed application, and you will be notified of the committee’s decision by email to your UO email account by the end of Week 6. At the time of notification of your acceptance into the program, you will be notified of a mandatory orientation meeting for all new majors (scheduled to be conducted online for the Spring 2020 term).
If you have any questions or concerns about the application process, please contact the INTL & OCIAS Undergraduate Support Team at email@example.com.