Skip to Content

International Experience Requirement

International Experience Requirement

International Studies requires a significant field learning experience (minimum 10-weeks) to fulfill the major requirements. This requirement is a core component of our program. The experiential learning requirement is most often fulfilled by study abroad or an internship abroad, chosen from the extensive opportunities available through the Global Education Oregon (GEO) program. Students may also fulfill this requirement through pre-approved, well-formulated domestic (US, Oregon, and/or Eugene) experiences. Please consult with your faculty advisor to tailor your plans for your personal academic and professional aims.

Approved field experiences for the Global Health Minor may count toward the international experience requirement, but do not automatically fulfill it. The time commitment for the International Studies requirement is different from that of the Global Health Minor. Please come speak with our Undergraduate Advisors if you have questions!

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I find information about study abroad opportunities?

The GEO Study Abroad Office is located in 330 Oregon Hall or online. They can provide you with detailed information about available programs in various regions, as well as scholarship opportunities. Otherwise you can stop by the Undergraduate Advising Office in PLC 304 to discuss possibilities based on your specific Block B and C concentrations.

How can I apply my study abroad credits to my International Studies major?

If you know the subject code for your study abroad courses, please use the Registrar’s course equivalencies tool to determine how the course can transfer to the UO. If you have the syllabi for your study abroad coursework, contact the Undergraduate Advisors (via email: or drop by PLC 304) to discuss how the course will fit into your INTL Major.

Do I have to complete my international experience in my geographic focus area?

Although we encourage students to travel to their geographic region of focus (Block C), you are not limited to this region. Students are able to complete their international experience in other regions in pursuit of credits for their language proficiency and/or professional concentration area. If you have specific questions or concerns please contact the Undergraduate Studies Director.

Do I have to complete the 10 week requirement during one trip?

No. Students are able to complete separate international experiences in order to achieve the 10-week minimum requirement. For example, 3 weeks Summer 2014 in Mexico followed by 7 weeks Winter 2015 in Spain.

Am I limited to finding a study abroad program as my only overseas option?

No. We invite students to participate in any supervised international experience of their choice. This includes internship and volunteer opportunities.

Can I get academic credit for my internship/volunteer experience abroad?

Yes. One of the easiest way to receive academic credit for an international internship is to go through the GEO Study Abroad Office. Information about internship opportunities can be found on their website or through advising in the GEO Study Abroad Office located in Oregon Hall.

However, you can also find an internship on your own. Prior to completing your internship or volunteer experience abroad, you should consult your Faculty Advisor and complete an Internship Application and Contract.

Upon completion of your internship, you must submit one copy of an internship report (explained below) to your faculty advisor and the INTL Undergraduate Coordinator (, as well as a letter of confirmation and evaluation from the organization with which you did the internship. Finally, you will need to register for individual study credits with your Faculty Advisor, of which 4 credits can be applied to your Block B and 4 to your Block C. Please contact the Undergraduate Advisors with specific questions or concerns.

What if I don’t need/want to receive academic credit for my international internship/volunteer experience?

That is completely fine. In order to fulfill your 10-week international experience requirement you must compose a report of your internship/volunteer experience and submit it to the INTL Undergraduate Coordinator in 175 PLC or by email (

The internship report (15-­‐20 pages) must contain the following information:

  • A description of the organization, its mission statement, and the clientele it serves
  • A description of your specific duties and the clientele you served, including what you actually did on the internship (hours, details of work, etc.)
  • How being an INTL major prepared you for this work, and how any INTL or UO courses helped in preparation for the experience
  • Reflections on the experience regarding what you learned from this internship and how you anticipate this internship will contribute to your future goals and future career

In addition, a letter of confirmation and evaluation from the organization with which you did the internship should be included, so we know you were where you said you were. You may submit these materials via email ( or in person to PLC 175.

Are there resources or scholarships to help me cover my costs for going abroad?

Yes! We offer departmental scholarships exclusive to INTL majors who are preparing to complete their overseas experience; please visit the main office in 175 PLC for more information. Several other scholarship opportunities are available through the College of Arts and Science, and the GEO Study Abroad Office. Sometimes students have been successful in receiving financial support when asking their other major or minor departments, too!

Please contact the INTL Undergraduate Advisors ( for further information regarding your International Experience requirement.

Where have you been?

The Department of International Studies invites students to share photos of their overseas experiences.

Please email if interested!


INTL Major Chelsea Ernst studying abroad through the CIEE Liberal Arts Program in Argentina during Winter and Spring terms of 2014.

INTL Major Lena E. in Israel, overlooking the Dead Sea

INTL Major Lena E. and fellow UO student, studying abroad in Israel, had a chance to complete the Ein Gedi hike and shared this photo overlooking the Dead Sea.