Skip to Content

Intercultural Requirement

Intercultural Experience Requirement

International Studies requires a significant intercultural experience (minimum 10-weeks) to fulfill the major requirements. This requirement is a core component of our program. The experiential learning requirement is most often fulfilled by study abroad or an internship abroad, chosen from the extensive opportunities available through the Global Education Oregon (GEO) program. Students may also fulfill this requirement through pre-approved, well-formulated domestic (US, Oregon, and/or Eugene) experiences. Please consult with your faculty advisor to tailor your plans for your personal academic and professional aims.

Approved field experiences for the Global Health Minor may count toward the intercultural experience requirement, but do not automatically fulfill it. The time commitment for the International Studies requirement is different from that of the Global Health Minor. Please reach out to an advisor or the Undergraduate Support Team at if you have questions!

Jump to Frequently Asked Questions

Jump to Confirming your Intercultural Experience on your Degree Guide

Jump to Intercultural Experiences During COVID-19 Restrictions


Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I find information about study abroad opportunities?

The GEO Study Abroad Office is located in 330 Oregon Hall or online. They can provide you with detailed information about available programs in various regions, as well as scholarship opportunities.

How can I apply my study abroad credits to my International Studies major?

If you know the subject code for your study abroad courses, please use the Registrar’s course equivalency tool to determine how the course can transfer to the UO. If you have the syllabi for your study abroad coursework, contact a Global Connections advisor to discuss how the course will fit into your INTL Major.

Do I have to complete my intercultural experience in my geographic focus area?

Although we encourage students to travel to their geographic region of focus (Block C), you are not limited to this region. Students are able to complete their intercultural experience in other regions in pursuit of credits for their language proficiency and/or professional concentration area. If you have specific questions or concerns please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies.

Do I have to complete the 10-week requirement during one trip?

No. Students are able to complete separate intercultural experiences in order to achieve the 10-week minimum requirement. For example a 3-week summer program in Mexico, followed by a 7-week internship in Spain the next winter.

Am I limited to finding a study abroad program as my only overseas option?

No. We invite students to participate in any supervised intercultural experience of their choice. This includes internship and volunteer opportunities.

Can I get academic credit for my internship/volunteer experience abroad?

Yes. One of the easiest ways to receive academic credit for an intercultural internship is to go through the GEO Study Abroad Office.

However, you can also find an internship on your own. Prior to completing your internship or volunteer experience abroad, you should consult your Faculty Advisor and complete an Internship Application and Contract.

Upon completion of your internship, you must submit one copy of an internship report (explained below) to your internship faculty advisor and the INTL Undergraduate Support Team (, as well as a letter of confirmation and evaluation from the organization with which you did the internship. Finally, you will need to register for individual study credits with your internship faculty advisor, of which 4 credits can be applied to your Block B and 4 to your Block C. Please contact the Undergraduate Advisors with specifics on registration.

What if I don’t need/want to receive academic credit for my international internship/volunteer experience?

That is completely fine. In order to fulfill your 10-week intercultural experience requirement, you must compose a report of your internship/volunteer experience and submit it to the INTL Director of Undergraduate Studies and the Undergraduate Support Team (

The internship report (15-­‐20 pages) must contain the following information:

  • A description of the organization, its mission statement, and the clientele it serves
  • A description of your specific duties and the clientele you served, including what you actually did on the internship (hours, details of work, etc.)
  • How being an INTL major prepared you for this work, and how any INTL or UO courses helped in preparation for the experience
  • Reflections on the experience regarding what you learned from this internship and how you anticipate this internship will contribute to your future goals and future career

In addition, a letter of confirmation and evaluation from the organization with which you did the internship should be included, so we know you were where you said you were.

Are there resources or scholarships to help me cover my costs for going abroad?

Yes! We offer departmental scholarships exclusive to INTL majors who are preparing to complete their overseas experience. Several other scholarship opportunities are available through the College of Arts and Science and the GEO Study Abroad Office. Students have also been successful in receiving financial support when asking their other major or minor departments.


Confirming your Intercultural Experience on your Degree Guide:

For experiences that have been per-approved by the International (Global) Studies Director of Undergraduate Studies for the INTL Major’s Intercultural Experience requirement, in order for students to have their experience counted on their degree guide, they must do the following:

  1. Complete the experience and either: a) earn credit (and have that credit reflected on your transcript) and, or b) complete the necessary Internship Report.
  1. Once the experience is completed, set an appointment with a Global Connections Advisor.
    • The Global Connections Advisor will fill out the survey form necessary for department review.
  1. After grades for each term have been submitted, the Undergraduate Coordinator will review all submitted experiences and provide the necessary information to the Registrar so the experience can be recorded on the student’s Degree Guide.

Once a student has notified a Global Connections Advisor of their completion of the experience, they should not expect to see the experience show up on their Degree Guide until the following term.


Intercultural Experiences During COVID-19 Restrictions:

Are you an INTL Major seeking to fulfill your Intercultural Experience requirement during COVID-19 restrictions? Here are some options for you!

Option #1 – Summer 2020 Courses for INTL Major Intercultural Experience

The following courses will be offered Summer 2020 only, during zero-week (June 15 – 21, 2020):

  • INTL 410: Global Cultures I: Experiential Learning
    • CRN 43655 | 2 credits | Zero Week (6/15-6/21)
    • Instructor: Dr. Lesley Jo Weaver
    • This intensive course is organized around a series of immersive individual and group-based activities designed to engage students in many of the same facets of life to which they would be exposed through a more traditional study, internship, or work abroad experience. Students will choose their own geographic focus. Areas of inquiry may include: media and current events; NGOs, development, and global health; religion; education, food, and social life; and film, art, and literature; among other topics.
  • INTL 410: Global Cultures II: Project-Based Learning
    • CRN 43653 | 2 credits | Zero Week (6/15-6/21)
    • Instructor: Dr. Kristin Yarris
    • This intensive project-based course provides students a framework to synthesize an immersive remote intercultural experience. Students will work individually or in groups to produce a final synthetic product that represents their research and immersion in the geographic area of their choosing.

If you haven’t begun meeting your INTL Major Intercultural Experience requirement, successfully completing both courses will meet your INTL Major Intercultural Experience requirement.

If you’ve completed a portion of your INTL Major Intercultural Experience requirement (some but not all of the 10-week requirement), if you take “Global Cultures II: Project-Based Learning,” you can use the credits to fulfill the remainder of your INTL Major Intercultural Experience requirement.

If you anticipate being able to complete your INTL Major Intercultural Experience requirement abroad prior to graduation, if you take “Global Cultures I: Experiential Learning,” you can use the course as a supplement to help you prepare for your up-coming experience.

Interested in enrolling in the courses? Excellent! Please note that instructor approval is required to register, so in order to obtain approval to enroll, please email:

Option #2 – Indigenous Rights and Environmental Justice of Bolivia – #NoPassportNeeded

Additional options – Require case-by-case Director of Undergraduate Study approval

  • Individualized Study Registration required, with credits overseen by faculty supervisor. Can be completed any term.
    • INTL 401 – Research
    • INTL 403 – Thesis
    • INTL 405 – Reading
    • INTL 406 – Field Studies
    • INTL 409 – Practicum
  • Reach out to for information on Individualized Study Course registration and to connect with the Undergraduate Advisor to discuss your proposal ideas.

Other ideas – Require case-by-case Director of Undergraduate Study approval

  • Students may submit proposals for other courses/opportunities to count – those will also be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
  • Reach out to for information about connecting with the Undergraduate Advisor to discuss your proposal ideas.