GLBL Undergraduate Advising
How to get remote advising:
Global Connections Advisors in Tykeson
The Global Connections Advising Team in Tykeson (Courtney, Clay, Christina and Kenlei) works closely with the GLBL Advising Team to ensure students have a clear understanding of departmental requirements. Continue to reach out to the Global Connections Advising Team first for your advising needs – they will be providing remote advising appointments via Microsoft Teams (available for download here: http://teams.microsoft.com/).
How do I schedule a remote appointment with a Global Connections Advisor?
- To schedule a remote “drop-in” appointment M-F, 10-3pm:
- Use the chat function on this website: https://advising.uoregon.edu/tykeson
- Call: 541-346-9200
- To schedule a remote appointment, you can use the chat function on the website, or schedule directly through Navigate. From there, they will receive instructions on using Microsoft Teams for a remote appointment.
- Flight Path Email: The GC flight path email (GCflightpath@uoregon.edu) is also a great way to communicate with all of the flight path advisors (Courtney, Clay, Christina and Kenlei) all at once!
Advising for Graduating Seniors
All graduating seniors are encouraged to set up a remote appointment with a Global Connections Advisor in the first few weeks of your graduating term as a starting point to go over any questions you may have: https://advising.uoregon.edu/tykeson
Referrals to OCIAS Undergraduate Advising
When needed, the Global Connections Advising Team in Tykeson will continue to refer students to either the OCIAS Undergraduate Support Team (administrative staff who will answer process-related questions) or the Undergraduate Advisor for Global Studies.
GLBL Major Faculty Mentor
The role of the faculty mentor is central to the program. Students interested in applying to the program should contact a faculty member with whom they have a common area of interest to act as their mentor, typically one of the Global Studies Department core faculty or an outside faculty member with expertise in the student’s concentration areas.
Faculty mentorships are confirmed as part of the GLBL Major application process (see “Faculty Mentor Confirmation” section of Application Components: https://intldept.uoregon.edu/undergraduate/major-overview/application/).
Upon choosing, meeting with, and confirming your chosen mentor, your Faculty Mentor must confirm your partnership by completing and electronically signing the Faculty Mentor Agreement Form and sending the completed form to email@example.com, copying you as their mentee. Emails confirming Faculty Mentor status for mentees must come directly from the Faculty Mentor to the firstname.lastname@example.org email account.
For a list of faculty outside the GLBL department who have served as faculty mentor to undergraduate majors, click here.
Undergraduate Support Team
For immediate concerns, please contact: email@example.com
Even though our physical office at 175 PLC may be closed at this time, we are working remotely and willing and able to help you with any questions you may have!
Other Advising Notes
For Spring 2020, Summer 2020, and Fall 2020 Terms ONLY:
- Students may use classes taken P/NP during Spring 2020, Summer 2020, or Fall 2020 to meet GLBL major and minor requirements.
- The deadline to change the grading option to P/NP has been extended until July 16th for all Spring 2020 classes. For this term a special P* grade will be assigned.
- P* grades may count toward the 168 minimum required UO graded credits, as well as count toward GLBL major and minor requirements.
See the Office of the Registrar’s page on “2020 Temporary Changes” for more details regarding Grading Option changes for Spring, Summer, and Fall 2020 terms: https://registrar.uoregon.edu/2020-temporary-changes
Letters of Recommendation
Click here for advice on how to get a letter of recommendation, along with a letter of recommendation request form.
Thank You Letters
Click here for information on how and when to write a thank you letter. (Hint: If you received a letter of recommendation, you’re going to want to write a thank you letter!)
GLBL Professor Kristin Yarris and GLBL Professor Derrick Hindery are Dreamer Allies who have committed to provide moral support and appropriate referrals for Dreamer students and that they will not share a student’s immigration status if revealed to them. Nonetheless, remember that when interacting with faculty, staff and offices around campus you are never required to reveal your immigration status.