Congratulations to 2017 Miss Oregon, Harley Emery!

The International Studies department extends a warm congratulations to very own Harley Emery on being crowned Miss Oregon 2017!!

Harley has 3.94 GPA as a double major in International Studies and Journalism, with minors in Arabic, Political Science, and Geography. Within International Studies, she is pursuing a concentration in Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution with a Middle Eastern geographic focus. Her accomplishments, however, Beyond being an exemplary student, she is also actively involved in supporting causes about which she is passionate, including co-founding No Lost Generation with fellow International Studies students.

Harley writes, “I am thrilled to be the new Miss Oregon, and to be representing our state at the Miss America competition in September! In addition to the volunteering, speaking, and performing I will be doing as Miss Oregon, I will be using my title this year to advocate on behalf of and to raise awareness of issues relating to refugees and immigrants. I will spend the year speaking to school classes and community groups, expanding my volunteer work with refugee resettlement organizations, and continuing to promote and fundraise for No Lost Generation UO, a refugee advocacy group I co-founded at the U of O last fall. It is in large part because of the knowledge I have gained thanks to professors within the International Studies Department that I have discovered a cause which I am passionate about, and which I will be able to share with people from across the state in the coming months.”

To learn more about No Lost Generation, visit their Facebook page or their website.

To follow Harley’s next steps, check out her Facebook page. The Register Guard also recently featured an article about Harley.

We are all looking forward to what’s next for you, Harley!