Improving Lives of Syrian Refugees

International Studies master’s student, Joze Moreno Pelayo won the University of Oregon Public Impact Fellowship last year – a $6000 award, which gave Joze the opportunity to travel to Lebanon last summer to conduct his research. An in-depth profile on Joze and his research is currently featured on the UO Graduate School website.

Joze is originally from Venezuela, a country facing enormous financial and political challenges. The story of Joze’s perseverance is striking: his goal to study at the University of Oregon was nearly derailed by Venezuela blocking his bank accounts, yet his commitment saw him through the process to join UO’s International Studies MA program in 2015. His current commitment to return to Lebanon displays that same tenacity.

Joze said, “I will give prominence not only to the refugees, but also to the Lebanese citizens who are already overwhelmed by this protracted social crisis. I will try to make suggestions and contribute to possible cohesive solutions that benefit all the parties involved. I expect my research to serve the interests of policymakers, and also my project aims to encourage cultural engagement from the UO’s student body to this matter in order to raise awareness of the issue and promote the creation of disruptive initiatives that might improve the lives of Syrian refugees.”