The INTL Pre-Major (PINS) option has been approved by the College of Arts and Sciences, and will be in effect beginning Fall 2014.
The undergraduate program in the Department of International Studies now allows students to declare International Studies as a pre-major at any time: prior to starting at the University of Oregon, the first term at the University of Oregon, and at any point afterwards.
A student must be a declared pre-major before the student may apply for and be admitted to the International Studies major.
INTL Pre-Major Requirements-
- INTL 101
- Two courses from Block A (INTL 199, 240, 250, 260 and 280)
- Second language sequence started or equivalency demonstrated
- Completed the UO writing requirement (WR 121 and 122 or 123) or equivalency demonstrated
- Cumulative UO GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Having completed at least 2 terms at the UO
Beginning Fall 2015, all students must complete the INTL Pre-Major requirements before applying to the INTL major.
*For the academic year 2014-15, students will be allowed to apply to the INTL major without having completed the INTL Pre-Major requirements, so long as they meet the following requirements:
- Have declared the INTL Pre-Major
- Have taken and passed with a C- or better, 1 INTL course offered at the UO
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have completed at least 2 terms at the UO
The International Studies undergraduate advisors offer drop-in office hours in 304 PLC every day during weeks 1-10 of Fall, Winter and Spring Terms. Office hours are posted online, in 175 PLC and throughout the departmental offices located on floors 1 and 3 of PLC. Pre-majors are strongly encouraged to stop by 304 PLC to receive assistance with applications, ask questions about the program, or check on their academic progress and completion of pre-major requirements.
List Serv for Pre-Majors
Once a student adds the INTL Pre-Major, their uoregon email address will be added to the INTLundergrad list serv, which is used for sharing important departmental information and posts that may be of interest to our undergraduate pre-majors and majors. Changes to office hours, scholarship opportunities, internship opportunities, and graduation information are examples of messages shared on the list serv.