International Studies Commencement
Spring 2013 Commencement Planning
UO Spring Commencement will take place on Monday, June 17, 2013.
Where and when is the International Studies Graduation Ceremony?
- The International Studies ceremony will be held at noon on Monday, June 17th in the EMU Amphitheater at the southeast corner of E13th Ave and University Streets.
Who may attend the International Studies Graduation Ceremony?
- Any INTL graduate or undergraduate student who has completed their program requirements during the 2012-13 academic year is invited to attend the ceremony. Any student whose program requirements will be completed by Summer Term 2013 must receive approval from their faculty advisor and either the Undergraduate Program Director or Department Head in order participate in the INTL ceremony.
Information for Undergraduate Students
- For Spring Term 2013, the deadline to apply for your undergraduate degree on Duckweb is April 28th, 2013. Following that date, students must petition to apply for their undergraduate degrees in person at Oregon Hall.
- All students who have applied for their undergraduate degrees during the 2012-13 academic year are asked to fill out a Graduation Plans Form. This form allows students to indicate their interest in participating in the INTL Commencement Ceremony. Students may pick up the form at the INTL office in 175 PLC.
- The INTL staff and advisors will review your major requirements and send you an email during the latter half of Spring Term notifying you if program requirements are complete, incomplete, or pending current term grades.
- The majority of students choose to wear the traditional cap and gown as purchased at the UO Duckstore, but such regalia is not required. Students are welcome to wear honor’s tassels and other academic achievement decorations, in addition to floral leis.
- INTL Majors who are graduating with Departmental Honors must check in with the Undergraduate Coordinator before June 1st. Students with honors will be put on a list which will be submitted to the Duckstore. Only students listed will be able to purchase honors’ tassels, and must show their UO ID at time of purchase.
Information for Guests
- Multiple guests are welcome to attend the INTL departmental ceremony; no tickets are required.
Free shuttles will run from 7am-6pm between the parking lots at Autzen Stadium and the load/unload point on campus.
Guests are strongly encouraged to take advantage of free parking at Autzen Stadium and the free shuttle service to reach campus.
Guests should plan to arrive at the parking lot at least an hour before the start of any ceremony they wish to attend to ensure enough time to reach their ceremony site.
- The INTL ceremony will be held outside, rain or shine.
- Prepare to arrive early to the ceremony location as seating is first come first serve.
- For guests with accessibility or special needs, please contact the INTL office (541-346-5051) prior to Monday the 17th so that arrangements can be made.
What is the International Studies ceremony like?
- The ceremony will include speeches by faculty-appointed Graduate and Undergraduate students of the current graduating class, and an INTL alum as the featured commencement speaker. Musical guests will provide entertainment. The ceremony will allow each participating graduate to be recognized individually by faculty as they walk across the stage and accept their diploma covers. Following the ceremony, a reception at a nearby location will provide graduates and guests a chance to visit and enjoy some catered refreshments, including cake and beverages.
For information about the UO General Commencement Ceremony and other graduation activities on campus, visit the UO Spring Graduation Page
Click here for the UO Commencement Day Infographic Map
Click here to visit the UO Commencement Facebook Page
Last Year’s Ceremony Details; INTL Class of 2012
IS Core Faculty (from left to right) Kathie Carpenter, Glenn Mitterman, Yvonne Braun, Stephen Wooten, Derrick Hindery, Galen Martin. Not pictured: Anita M. Weiss, Dennis Galvan
It was a lovely afternoon on Monday, June 18th, 2012. The sun shone warmly on the ceremony location at the EMU amphitheatre in the heart of the UO Campus, only to be interrupted once or twice by light rain showers. Family members and friends of graduates assembled early at the venue to get settled and await the arrival of the students dressed in their dark green caps and gowns. By the time faculty and students began the processional, the entire seating area for the audience was fully occupied, and bystanders were situated around the perimeter.
IS Undergradaute Program Director Kathie Carpenter emceed the program of events; Randal Larson of Island Accents provided music from the Carribbean islands of Trinadad and Tobago on the steel drums; graduate student Yelena Ablaeva and undergraduate student Justine Jensen addressed their classmates with touching commencement speeches, and IS alumni Travis Joseph (2005), who currently works as a Congressional Aid for Oregon Representative Peter DeFazio in Washington DC, was invited to deliver the Alumni Commencement Address.
You can find a copy of Yelena’s speech here.
You can find a copy of Justine’s speech here.
You can find a copy of Travis’ commencement address here.
The department recognized seven graduate students receiving Master’s of Arts degrees, and 105 undergraduates were acknowledged individually as they walked across the stage to receive their diploma covers. Following the ceremony, faculty, graduates and guests enjoyed a reception with food and beverages across the street on the Collier House lawn and celebrated their completion of the International Studies Program.